MANILA – Malacañang on Tuesday suspended classes at all levels in Metro Manila despite the absence of a transport strike.
“In view of actual and / or imminent threats posed by some groups, we are suspending classes at all levels in Metro Manila effective today, March 20, to safeguard the safety of students,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a statement.
“The President has instructed that he will suspend classes even with the slightest threat of a strike to ensure the protection and well-being of students.”
Roque announced the suspension before noon even though transport group Piston had already finished its first strike of the year on Monday, March 19.
The spokesperson had earlier said the Palace is considering suspending classes until Friday, March 23, in view of the transport strike.
Piston President George San Mateo Malacañang’s move was aimed at fanning “hatred” towards his group, who is protesting the government’s public transportation modernization program that will entail the scrapping of old jeepneys.
“Fake news po yang sinasabi ni Harry Roque. Isang araw lang po ang strike kanina. Wala na bukas. Malacanang is trying to fan hatred laban sa mga drayber. Sa halip na harapin, kausapin at pakinggan ang karaingan ng mga drivers ay nag-re-resort ang malacanang sa fake news,” San Mateo said in a text message on Monday.