DO, 047 s. 2018: Guidelines on the Grant of Anniversary Bonus
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) issues the enclosed Guidelines on the Grant of Anniversary Bonus for Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 pursuant to the provision of Administrative Order No. 263 dated March 28, 1996 entitled Authorizing the Grant of Anniversary Bonus to officials and Employees of Government Entities, and the Department of Budget and Management’s (DBM’s) National Budget Circular (NBC) No. 452, dated May 20, 1996 entitled Amplifying and Clarifying the Implementation of the Grant of Anniversary Bonus to Officials and Employees of Government Entities.
2. The Anniversary Bonus (AB) is granted to government officials and employees on the occasion of the milestone years of the agency where they are employed. Milestone year is defined as the 15th anniversary of the government agency and every fifth year thereafter.
3. Based on the records of the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP), as communicated to DepEd by its Chair Dr. Rene R. Escalante in a letter dated December 27, 2017:
“The modern public education system in the Philippines traces its origins from the Royal Decree promulgated by Queen Isabella II of Spain (through the Ministro de Ultramar, Don Jose de la Concha) on December 20, 1863. Said decree provided for the creation of a Comision Superior de Instruction Primaria, a body co-chaired by the Governor- General and the Archbishop of Manila, which exercised administrative oversight over basic education schools across the entire Philippine archipelago. It was later superseded in June 23, 1898 by the Bureau of Education during the short-lived First Philippine Republic, then by the Department of Public Instruction during the American Colonial Period, which was established by virtue of Act No. 74 of the United States Philippine Commission on January 21, 1901.”
4. Of the said dates, Administrative Order No. 322 issued by former President Fidel V. Ramos on March 20, 1997 identified June 23, 1898 as the founding date of DepEd. This serves as basis for determining the milestone year of the Department for the purpose of granting AB to its officials and employees.
5. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.